This recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family – including the kids!! Be sure to try it out for dinner tonight. #Whats4DinnerWednesday
Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Mac
4 oz. elbow macaroni
2 cups/8 oz. small broccoli florets
2 Tbsp./1 oz. butter
6 Tbsp. flour
2 cups/16 oz. skim milk
4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. cooked chicken (leftover), small dice
½ cup breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Heat a small pan of salted water. Cook the broccoli until crisp tender (about 2 minutes). Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Chop into ½” pieces. Reserve.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium low heat. Add butter and, whisking constantly, stir in the flour taking care the flour doesn’t brown. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk. It will thicken as it gets hot. Whisk constantly; any lumps will smooth out. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes. Mixture will bubble and thicken. When it no longer changes in consistency, it’s done.
- Stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in pasta, broccoli and chicken. Spread into a 9″ x 9″ pan. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and press them into the surface. Cool completely.
Recipe from MomLuck.com